[NIFL-FAMILY:992] RE: Parents as first teachers (long)

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 18:44:42 EDT

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:44:42 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:992] RE: Parents as first teachers (long)

At 06:06 PM 04/23/2002 -0400, Virginia Tardaewether wrote:
>Thanks for the thoughtful story Sylvan....your comments point to an
>important role that staff can have with adult learners...connecting them to
>each other.  We may not be there in the roles described in your sharing, but
>we can help students support each other: to weave the web of community
>support, one person, one contact at a time.

Yes, supporting each other is part of creating that "community of learners"
that is the art of teaching rather than the science. If we can create that
kind of atmosphere in the classroom, often the students find ways to
network and support each other in the "real" world as well. We always find
that some students are already connected with each other at the beginning
of the year, either by being related somehow or by knowing each other as
friends. But by the end of the year, many strong new friendships have been
created, and people help each other in all kinds of ways.

Yet another positive outcome that I can't really document at the end of the
year.

Sylvan Rainwater  .  sylvan@cccchs.org
Adult Education Teacher and Family Literacy Program Manager
Clackamas County Children's Commission  .  Oregon City, OR USA