[NIFL-FAMILY:642] Re: Identifying and Supporting Low

From: KUTHFAM@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 22:28:21 EST

Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:28:21 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: KUTHFAM@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:642] Re: Identifying and Supporting Low

In a message dated 1/15/2002 9:03:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
BRmidwest@aol.com writes:

> It makes sense NOT to use a fancy word when a simple, direct word will
> do--this makes sense even when we are communicating with highly educated
> people.  (That's PEOPLE, not "individuals"!)

Betsy,

I agree about not using fancy words when a simple one will do.

I had a math teacher, whom we called Uncle Ralph the Old Rattlesnake (and he
was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).  He said if you can't teach them, confuse them, and he
did.  Well, I didn't learn much math from him, but I did learn a lesson I
teach almost every day.

Many concepts are simple ideas in complex words.  If something is clear, we
attach a word to make it appear more difficult than it is.  I tell my
students to try to understand the concept, and then look at the complex word
that makes something seem more impressive and difficult than it is.  I think
this is especially true in math and science.

Millie Kuth
Hamilton City ABLE
Hamilton OH 45011