[NIFL-ESL:8618] Re: Re: War as a cross-cultural issue

From: Sherry Migdail (shermigd@erols.com)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 09:44:27 EST

From: "Sherry Migdail" <shermigd@erols.com>
To: <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8618] Re: Re: War as a cross-cultural issue
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:44:27 -0500

What seemed to have happened is that somewhere in the late 40's and 50's
there was a trend to "social studies" which turned out to be a smattering of
information (I would not use knowledge - that connotes a bit more
scholarship) on a number of what were considered "great and sweeping"
issues - the effects of climate, of world areas, social history etc... and
much of it watered down to trickles of information for upper elementary and
middle school kids. These generalizations were then in some way advanced and
adapted to the higher high school levels.  There was no focus for grammar
soon after my own years in "junior high" and good grammatical structures do
not exist to any great extent - there are countless errors in excellent
newspapers - not to mention non-print newscasts.  And what is sad, again in
my view, is that no one seems to care enough to create change!

My own children were brought up in Mexico where world geography is (was)
taught as world geography.  They knew, perhaps not too needlessly, the world
capitals etc.. and where places were geographically - yes, France was in
Europe and Guiana was not in Asia!!  They did "monografias" of countries;
they drew maps to scale etc...but again they did not have any social history
except for a somewhat biased view of the in which they were living.

If one could give kids a foundation in both types of learning and
understanding  about the world in which they live - we'd have a far better
educated individual.

I am not defending or decrying  either educational methodology per se - it
is not my intention to bash; we've got lots of good teaching going on in
this country for kids;  but that they miss what comes with some necessary
rote learning .  There is something great about remembering the lines to
poetry once read; to getting proper noun-verb agreement; to knowing where
Haiti is.

    By the same token in other countries in which I have lived and taught
the need for greater student participation in the classroom is sadly
lacking - get the two together and you have a good basis for knowledge.  Add
to it a multicultural and, from my point of view, multilingual teaching and
the world could be a better place with persons better prepared for changing
demographics.

 Sherry Migdail