[NIFL-ESL:8760] Censorship?

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 15:58:33 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 15:58:33 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8760] Censorship?

I've read with interest the comments by several list members protesting the
exclusion of a former list member. I have to support the list manager here.
We have rules, called "netiquette" that everyone is supposed to agree to
when joining the list. My understanding is that when someone appears to
violate those rules, the list manager reminds that member of the rules, and
asks him or her to cease and desist. In this case, the member not only did
not stop violating rules, but indeed stepped up attacks and became even
more abusive, calling people names, attacking others' ideas, and calling
into question the whole concept of the list and its rules. I posted
privately to him, trying to emphasize that this is not a matter of trying
to suppress a political viewpoint (and in fact tried to tell him I agreed
with him) but to attempt to maintain some sense of respectful discussion.
My mistake. His reply to me was just as abusive as those to others, and he
insists I don't agree with him. Okay, so I'm done. He's right, I guess I
don't really agree with him, especially if his point of view is that
everyone has to agree with everything he says or they are a <insert epithet
of choice here>.

If we have no consequences for violating the very reasonable rules of the
list (and really the only consequence we can impose is removal from the
list), then there's no point in having rules. We might as well say anything
goes. I've heard of lists where that is the case, and newsgroups, chat
rooms, etc. Those who want such a venue should go find one. Personally, I'd
prefer a forum where we at least try to discuss things in an atmosphere of
mutual respect, even if we disagree with each other, and where there's some
understanding of the importance of how we treat each other regardless of
our respective ideas.

In addition, membership on this listserve, or any other, is not a right,
but a privilege. I trust the list manager's judgment, and in this instance
support her right down the line.

Sylvan Rainwater  .   Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission / Head Start
Oregon City, OR USA    .   mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org