[NIFL-ESL:9464] RE: Illiteracy

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 16:37:05 EDT

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:37:05 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sylvan Rainwater" <sylvan@cccchs.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9464] RE: Illiteracy

Antje,

I think you are very eloquent about what unites a country, and what creates
a culture. Tanya's question is a good one for sure. If not language, then
what?

It is true that in America, we have special challenges in communication,
because we do come from different cultural backgrounds and that includes
different language backgrounds. To take a common example -- in many cultures
it's not okay to say "no" directly, so there are various understood ways to
let someone know you don't really want to do something, or whatever. But if
you are not from that person's background, you may not understand. So in
America, we tend to be more direct, because it's safer in terms of really
understanding what we mean.

I think the English-only movement is trying to respond to Tanya's question,
and trying to use language to unite us. But I believe that is misguided. In
fact, English *does* unite us, but that's not all that does, nor is it even
the most important thing. The most important things are the ideas Antje
talks of, and the values Ken talks of, and even the love that someone else
(sorry, can't remember at the moment) talks of. The willingness to try to
communicate, to negotiate meaning even when it's difficult. The respect we
can have for every single person here.

-------
Sylvan Rainwater  mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org
Program Managaer Family Literacy
Clackamas Co. Children's Commission /  Head Start
Oregon City, OR  USA