[NIFL-ESL:9133] Re: hello

From: m.white (ma.white@morehead-st.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 13:57:13 EDT

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:57:13 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "m.white" <ma.white@morehead-st.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9133] Re: hello

Andres,

Bon Jour!  You've introduced a new thread and a new personality to the listserv.  Hey, it's summer and respites are needed and expected.

Andres, I'd say you have a pretty good command of English.  Although I've never heard you speak of course, your email syntax and vocabulary demonstrate a certain proficiency with our language.  Follow up with some of the
tips other subscribers have given (classes, immersion environments, anglophone friends).

As an aside, my mother is Portuguese as well.  I suffered the typical American syndrome - speaking the int'l mother's tongue early, then dropping it in favor of "not being different".  How about you?  I realize what
multilinguists many Europeans are - for the most part Americans are not interested in other languages to "your" extent.  This is changing though.

Paris has got to be one of the most beautiful cities I've ever visited.  The political relationship between France & the U.S. may still be on shaky ground, but I'm not fazed.  When Armstrong does in fact dominate the
tour.....the win will only further polarize feelings on both side of the Atlantic    ;)

Maurice White