[NIFL-ESL:9631] RE: materials and tests

From: David Rosen (djrosen@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 14:36:49 EST

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:36:49 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: David Rosen <djrosen@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9631] RE: materials and tests

Diane,

Massachusetts has been using the REEP writing test for ESOL students
who are beyond levels tested by the BEST.  The REEP is a valid and
reliable standardized assessment accepted by the USDOE.  Massachusetts
is working with the REEP program (in Arlington, Virginia) to develop
additional (valid and reliable) forms.

For more information about this you could contact Jane Schwerdtfeger at
the Massachusetts Department of Education <JaneS@doe.mass.edu>

David J. Rosen
djrosen@comcast.net

On Thursday, November 13, 2003, at 05:09  PM, Diane Snell wrote:

> We are a Literacy Council and we serve our students with one-on-one
> tutoring.  Students meet with their tutors two hours per week.
>
> We use the BEST test for intake of our ESL students.  I find that it
> is very
> accurate in identifying level and strategies needed for "survival"
> Englilsh.
> I'm looking for an assessment that will help identify more specific
> reading
> and writing needs of our more advanced students. These students are
> comfortable speaking and understanding oral English and have
> low-intermediate reading and writing skills.
>
> I'm also looking for suggestions for reading and writing texts that
> will
> serve as a bridge for these students to a more academic English.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Diane K. Snell
> ESL Education Coordinator
> Racine Literacy Council