[NIFL-ESL:8574] Re: reading level of public resources for

From: Lisa Pierce (ldpierce@emlc.org)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 11:16:12 EST

From: Lisa Pierce <ldpierce@emlc.org>
To: "'nifl-esl@nifl.gov'" <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8574] Re: reading level of public resources for
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 11:16:12 -0500

>From a survey of the site www.ready.gov  I found much of the material to be
at a level which would still make it useful to ESL students (classes and
tutors).  Additionally, some of the material is accompanied by images that
can be useful.  I hope that folks on the list will take Angie's and Ujwala
Samant's comments (included again below) into consideration when
contemplating if or how to present this material to students.  Thank you
both for your constructive contributions.
Lisa

We recently experienced a terrible snowstorm in our state that left many
families trapped in their homes without electricity and water for many
days.
Preparedness has gotten the interest of many here. One of the greatest
factors for adult learners is interest. I think the public resources from
ready .gov are a great idea as a launching pad for writing and English
conversation. Thanks.
"Angie"

This dialogue started by Dottie et al made me look at the classes I am in
contact with. Some of them have already experienced what the media and the
politicians are talking about. Perhaps, this might be a moment where
learners who have experienced war and terror could share how they dealt
with
it, in practical terms (duct tape or storing water, etc.) as well as
emotional terms. I remember my mother talking to me about things she was
doing (brown papering windows, the need for calm, candles, rationing of
materials, etc.), as well as the drill we had to do when the evening
flights
started over Delhi, etc. All done very calmly as if it was a new routine
for
a few weeks. The same way she would ask us to help her get the house ready
for the upcoming monsoon, or the intense summer. Different routines for
different seasons, all needing preparations.

I am not a panic princess, but a certain amount of caution does not hurt.
Just the same way I have taught learners how to act when stopped by a
traffic policeman or how to use an ATM.
regards,
Ujwala Samant