[NIFL-ESL:9669] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

From: Kroeger, Miriam (MKroege@ade.az.gov)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 13:52:06 EST

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:52:06 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Kroeger, Miriam" <MKroege@ade.az.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9669] Re: TABE and Adult LAS for ESL

Sylvan,
I'm not suggesting that assessment should drive instruction- heavens no! - But it should help to inform instruction.  Perhaps we are looking at one of the true challenges in teaching - the great balancing act among what students want and what students need (I want my GED/job, I can barely read and compute), what teachers want and need (materials, support, resources, (and dare I say, decent wages?), and what programs need and want (funding, collaborations, recognition of the value of what they provide to the community, to the economy, etc.)  As teachers we need to know the academic and put it into "real-world" contexts, as you say, "to keep in mind what the students really need in order to function out there in the
real world, and to structure our classroom activities accordingly."

  And as teachers we have to know and realize what the context is that we operate in and under.  If our $$$ come from a source that has certain "rules", then we need to know them, and play by them.  As much as we chafe under some of the requirements of the funding source, if we don't abide by the rules, we risk getting kicked out of the game.  As advocates for our students, programs and each other, we need to try to figure out a system with all concerned that gives everyone what they need in order to achieve what they want.

-Miriam Kroeger
Arizona