[NIFL-ESL:9180] Re: Women learners

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 12:48:58 EDT

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:48:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9180] Re: Women learners

Yvonne:

As a male teacher, I will make one generalization. Men tend to love
non-fiction and women tend to love fiction. This apparent difference is true
in many cultures and languages. However, these are just generalizations and
there are always exceptions. I do think we need to realize that men and
women sometimes have different interests and we as male teachers or female
teachers need to be aware of these gender differences and learning styles. A
simple thing I do to inculde both types of learning stylyes in make sure I
include both fiction and non-ficton material. I think the non-fiction
materal changes for males according to their individual backgrounds and
cultures. For instance, soccor, or futbol may be of more interest than
American Football to some immigrants but not all. Every one has unique
interest and learning styles and when we talk about gender differences we
usually talk in generalizations.

Ken Taber
kentaber@inetgenesis.com