[NIFL-ESL:9112] Fwd: [NIFL-FAMILY:1604] The family literacy elephant

From: Gail Spangenberg (gspangenberg@caalusa.org)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 11:01:10 EDT

Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:01:10 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Gail Spangenberg <gspangenberg@caalusa.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9112] Fwd: [NIFL-FAMILY:1604] The family literacy elephant

I don't know who Betsy Rubin is, but I am taking the liberty of
cross-posting this because I think her  message is compellingly
urgent and cuts across all areas of the field.  All the more so as I
keep learning about "controls" put in place in Florida, in the
national network of public libraries, in language use at the National
Institute of Health, and elsewhere -- some of which appear to be
politically motivated.  Is it that the NIFL (and other
federally-funded or state-funded) istservs can't make MENTION OF or
DISCUSS funding or policy or legislation (as opposed to organizing
"get-out-the-vote" campaigns or urging people to contact their
political representative) or must they do even this in contexts
divorced from their content, and out of the public eye.  If that is
the case, it would seem to subvert important founding principles and
legal watchdog, civil rights, and freedom of speech organizations
should be paying attention.  Gail S

--
Gail Spangenberg
President