[NIFL-ESL:9023] Re: Presentation

From: Julie Whittemore (whittemore_julie@alhambra.k12.ca.us)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 16:56:43 EDT

Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:56:43 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Julie Whittemore" <whittemore_julie@alhambra.k12.ca.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9023] Re: Presentation

My experience with adult students is very similar. Here in southern
California we get a lot of very highly educated students, particulary, but
not exclusively from Asian countries, who read at very high levels of
proficiency. They "top out" on the D level CASAS standardized test.
(Required in California)  In some cases they even write fairly well.
However, they have no speaking or listening ability. We must place them in
beginning low level ESL classes. If they are highly motivated, they stay
and learn very quickly. However, some older adults are not motivated by
job or academic goals and become bored with the low level of vacabulary
and topics presented so they drop out. What are you doing to increase your
retention levels with these types of students?

Julie Whittemore
Teacher/Coordinator 5% Distance Learning Program
Alhambra Adult Education
Alhambra, California