NASA and Copyright Regulations
NASA images generally are not copyrighted. You may use NASA imagery, video and audio material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits and Internet Web pages. This general permission does not include the NASA insignia logo (the blue "meatball" insignia), the NASA logotype (the red "worm" logo) and the NASA seal. These images may not be used by persons who are not NASA employees or on products (including Web pages) that are not NASA sponsored.
If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, especially including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services. If a NASA image includes an identifiable person, using the image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy or publicity, and permission should be obtained from the person.
Any questions regarding application of any NASA image or emblem should be directed to:
Public Services Division
Washington, DC 20546
Please be advised that:
- NASA does not endorse or sponsor any commercial product, service, or activity.
- The use of the NASA name, initials, any NASA emblems (including the NASA Insignia, the NASA Logo and the NASA Seal) which would express or imply such endorsement or sponsorship is strictly prohibited.
- Use of the NASA name or initials as an identifying symbol by organizations other than NASA (such as on foods, packaging, containers, signs, or any promotional material) is prohibited.
- NASA does permit the use of the NASA Logo and Insignia on novelty and souvenir-type items. However, such items may be sold and manufactured only after a proposal has been submitted to and approved by a representative from the Public Services Division (see above information for address, numbers, etc.) in accordance with 14 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Part 1221. Permission is granted on a nonexclusive basis as it is not NASA's policy to grant exclusive rights to use any of the Agency identities.
- No approval for use is authorized by NASA when the use can be construed as an endorsement by NASA of a product, service, or activity.
- NASA emblems should be reproduced only from original reproduction proofs, transparencies, or computer files available from NASA Headquarters. Please be advised that approval must be granted by the Public Services Division (see above information for address, numbers, etc.) before any reproduction materials can be obtained.