[NIFL-ESL:8989] Re: FW: [AAACE-NLA]NIFL listservs , free expression, and nonprofit organizations

From: KathleenBombach@aol.com
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 19:18:46 EDT

Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 19:18:46 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: KathleenBombach@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8989] Re: FW: [AAACE-NLA]NIFL listservs , free expression, and nonprofit organizations

Based on my understanding of the Constitution, Bill of Rights, numerous court cases, and civil rights legislation, this person is barking up the wrong tree.

What would not be permissible on a government-sponsored listserve would be hate speech, incitement to violence, threatening speech, and planning to overthrow the government or engage in a terrorist or criminal enterprise or act.

Religious speech would be tolerated if it were incidental, such as signing my name with "God be with you", or opinion: were I to write the list advocating that all adult education be religiously-based it would be acceptable, whereas my using the list to proselytize my religion would not be.

Another thought I had is that, with many of the readers of this list able to use a foreign language dictionary, we can just start speaking a little French and Spanish on the net. This is not good Spanish below, but I bet every one can read it.
La Guerra
Adalante
Nesesitamos su apoyo
Dile/escribe su opinion a sus representantes en el gobierno Llame a las oficinas de los representantes del gobierno

Or since we are all clever people, we can just use pig latin.  It's like telling teenagers their skirts cannot be shorter than 4 inches above the knee. They figure out clever ways around it.

I am stumped on not permitting the mention of one piece of legislation, but allowing speech on other pieces of legislation. This seems pretty silly, in all. This is not a company listserve, it is a public listserve, and we are not violating the law in any way.

This is a very sad, sad step.

My Odgay ebay ithway ouyay,
athleenkay ombachbay