[NIFL-ESL:9720] Comprehension and Vocabulary Acquisition Tests for ESL Learners with National Norms

From: john.makay@excite.com
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 11:12:02 EST

Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:12:02 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "john.makay@excite.com" <john.makay@excite.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9720] Comprehension and Vocabulary Acquisition Tests for ESL Learners with National Norms

We hope to run a small study in the ESL program at Baltimore City Community College sponsored by my group, the Maryland Coalition for Literacy. We plan on testing a Word Attack system along with a group reading component to see if students will have better gains in vocabulary acquisition and reading comprehension over a control group. Can anyone suggest a standardized test for an adult ESL population that has national norms and is highly recommended to test vocabulary acquisition and reading comprehension? It needs to have an A and a B form, and I would like it to have several levels of difficulty with a scaled score connecting each level. Should I try to match and compare students with similar profiles in the control vs. the intervention group directly? In addition, if you have some advise in what is the best way to set up my intervention and control groups and how to eliminate confounding variables, feel free to contribute your ideas. I will make sure to credit you in the study.

Thanks.

John Makay, Executive Director
Maryland Coalition for Literacy
3011 Montebello Terrace