[NIFL-ESL:9689] RE: literature/childrens/ya

From: Dottie Shattuck (dottie@shattuck.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 23:42:44 EST

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:42:44 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Dottie Shattuck" <dottie@shattuck.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9689] RE: literature/childrens/ya

Early in my career/training in adult ESL, I was warned not to use children's
materials with adults.  While well-meaning, that advice was impractical.  There
simply wasn't much in high-interest, beginning skill level reading material for
adults 17-18 years ago.

Fortunately, my nearest library (in Milwaukee) was very sensitive to new readers,
regardless of their age or language background.  The library shelved all their
non-fiction together; there was no "juvenile" section.  New readers, whether ESL,
ABE, or GED adults or children, could find appropriate materials.  There was no
"stigma" of its being a child's book.

As for fiction, I've found it usually is acceptable to ESL adults if I present the
book as for "new English readers" or "this is good to read to your child; it's
good practice for you & the child."  My students always seem to enjoy stories that
have multi-generation characters or folktales from any culture.  Patricia
Polacco's books are especially popular with the high beginners & intermediates.
My older adults really like "The Wednesday Surprise" by Eve Bunting (a little girl
helps her grandmother learn to read).  Many of these books have audio-cassettes
too.

The teacher 's attitude toward the materials often influence the students'
attitudes.

Dottie Shattuck
Tri-District Adult Edu.
Clover, SC