[NIFL-ESL:9459] Re: reading question

From: kate.diggins (kate.diggins@slc.k12.ut.us)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 16:51:50 EDT

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:51:50 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "kate.diggins" <kate.diggins@slc.k12.ut.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9459] Re: reading question

Dear Debbie,

I have experimented with various techniques for this level over the years,
and I have needed to make fairly explicit lesson plans, because our students
are taught in small groups by volunteer tutors.  I like to do any or all of
the following:

1.  Activate reading schemata with a pre-reading activity.  The students like
to use a picture as a springboard for a quick discussion of the topic, then I
direct their attention to the text itself.

2.  I ask the tutor to first read the passage aloud while the students
listen.  If the text is more than a page, or if I think the vocabulary is a
little overwhelming, I break the text into chunks, by drawing a line or
telling the tutor when to pause.

3.  If I see a "teachable moment" in the text (several nouns
about...oh...housing for instance, or a group of synonyms), I will have the
tutor ask the students if they know the meanings of these words and discuss
them as a group.

4.  Otherwise, I have the students take a few minutes to read silently and
indicate passages they find confusing.  I try to take the focus off
individual words that the students might not understand, encouraging them to
try to figure them out in context.  But if an entire sentence stumps them,
the group should talk about it and the tutor could paraphrase.

5.  I then have the students take turns reading aloud.  Students like this if
they feel comfortable in the group.  That level of comfort comes from mutual
respect and a tutor who has been trained in how to give feedback which is
solid but not interfering.  I usually have the tutor notice patterns of
mispronunciation, but say nothing until the student's turn is finished. Then
the tutor might say, "Great, Juan.  Let's just look again at the
word 'situation'."  etc...  The students like this.

6.  Depending on the text and the students, I might then:

a.  Have the students do a dictation with a portion of the text.  My students
ADORE dictation.

b.  Comprehension questions to discuss orally.

c.  Asking each student to try to paraphrase the passage in his/her own words.

d.  If there are textual transitions that lend themselves to this activity, I
might have a copy of the story cut into pieces by paragraph.  The students
can reorder the story.  This is a useful activity, but, to be honest, my
students complain bitterly when I ask them to do it. :)

My students are busy adult learners, often holding down two jobs, so many
have a hard time with homework.  Low-level students like to do Language
Experience-type writing in class, but for the level you are asking about, I
would assign writing to do at home, then have the tutor work with them on
revising the draft at the next class.  I might ask them to write about a
similar experience they have had, their opinions about an issue mentioned in
the story, or I'll ask them to summarize the story.  They like to do the
latter, although they struggle to take a series of main ideas and create a
text that flows.

If a writing assignment seems to be engaging to them, I really go crazy, have
them make several drafts, then publish the final drafts in out little student
newspaper.

I hope this offers some useful suggestions. I feel a bit self-conscious. I
mean, what sort of expert do I think I am?  But there might be a few things
you can use.

If YOU have any tricks in YOUR bag that you think would be useful to ME, I'd
love to hear them.