[NIFL-ESL:9436] RE: Illiteracy

From: Ken Taber (kentaber@inetgenesis.com)
Date: Sat Sep 06 2003 - 00:13:34 EDT

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 00:13:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ken Taber" <kentaber@inetgenesis.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9436] RE: Illiteracy

"I've heard sad stories where very young children simply couldn't understand
what their mothers said. They were cut off from communication with their
mothers at a heartbreakingly young age. This is not what we want."-Susan

I have another sad story for you to hear. This happened at my old school in
Florida. A mother and child go into the Kindergarten Classroom the first day
of school. The mother goes to the teacher, "My child does not speak." The
teacher asks the mother, "Do you speak to your child?" The mother replied,
"No." The teacher then asked the mother, "Do you allow your child to watch
TV?" To which the mother replied, "I do not believe in TV." The child had
learned one word the week before school started. The word, "mommy." This
child was not born with any learning disability. He spent both Kindergarten
and First Grade at our school before having to go a special school for
Language. He was a fast learner and learned many words once he was spoken
to. He is still behind his peers academically. We asked his teacher how he
was doing in the 4th grade and she said he  was making great progress. She
also said that most of her language students have problems because of
similar environmental issues and that they did not have any other learning
problems. We were shocked that there was even one child with this problem
but to find out there was even a small classroom of similar problems was
even more shocking.

Literacy begins with speaking and listening. When that is lacking, progress
is hindered. We may be shocked by that story but many teachers do the same
thing when a foreign born student enters their classroom and no one speaks
to them.

Ken Taber
kentaber@inetgenesis.com