[NIFL-ESL:9425] RE: Illiteracy

From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson (varshna@grandecom.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 17:22:03 EDT

Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:22:03 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Varshna Narumanchi-Jackson <varshna@grandecom.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9425] RE: Illiteracy

Your point assumes that either the child or the family wants English to be
the "first" language.  What is so great about having developed oracy in your
"second"/"family" language when it isn't backed up by literacy?

Who wants to be an adult whose understanding of her "second"/"family"
language stopped at age 3?  How do you converse with your parents, with your
grandparents (as has been my experience), with aunts, uncles, and other
relatives who are more comfortable speaking in the "family" language?  What
do you do as an adult with children of your own when you can't pass on the
"family" language?  How do they converse with the older generations?

How is culture preserved when the language in which it was born is silenced?