[NIFL-ESL:9353] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Martin E. Senger (MESenger@netbox.com)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2003 - 03:02:19 EDT

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 03:02:19 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Martin E. Senger" <MESenger@netbox.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9353] Re: Accept English Only donation?

Living within a different language/culture is by now means a sure way to
learn a language. The desire has to be there also.

I am an ESL teacher at a local plastics factory, and several of my
Mexican students have been in this country a decade or more. They have
avoided learning English by remaining within their own language and
culture group and limiting their outside (English) experience.

I also know many Bosnians, and it was very common for them to live and
work in Germany for decades and never learn German, since their ethnic
community had reached such a critical mass that it could offer any
support services they might need. I might add that the Bosnians I had
talked to said a primary reason they never learned German was that they
often felt unwelcome there.

As for forcing someone to learn a language, I often surprise my students
by asking them what is the 'official' language of the US. I constantly
try to reinforce the idea that an 'American' can speak any language, be
any color, practice any religion. Having lived in monolithic societies,
vive la diference (or somethin' like that)!