[NIFL-ESL:9352] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Susan Ryan (susanefl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2003 - 22:16:06 EDT

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:16:06 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Susan Ryan" <susanefl@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9352] Re: Accept English Only donation?

Tanya--I think living in any country 8-10 years without learning the
language to some extent would be culturally and socially isolating and could
also prove to be dangerous. I read of a lady who knew no English who was
lost for 24 hours in a Florida city and couldn't find her way home.It must
have been a terrifying experience. I once lived in Spain for only 6 months
and found it difficult enough to get by on my limited Spanish for just that
long. You also could not be very gainfully employed in a country without
knowing the language. I should think 10 years of immersion in a language at
any age would lead to some command of the language, would it not?
Susan

>From: "ttweeton" <ttweeton@comcast.net>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
>Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9351] Re: Accept English Only donation?
>Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:56:54 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Do you think one should live 8 to 10 years in a country,  any country  in
>the world without learning the language?
>
>Tanya Tweeton
>Adult Esol Community School
>Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Help protect your PC: Get a free online virus scan at McAfee.com.