[NIFL-ESL:9312] Re: Accept English Only donation?

From: Ken Todd (kentodd@UDel.Edu)
Date: Fri Aug 29 2003 - 11:21:36 EDT

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:21:36 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Ken Todd <kentodd@UDel.Edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9312] Re: Accept English Only donation?

I would like to know the source of this myth. I have never heard it
before. "myth" understates its distance from historical fact. As I have
commented before on this list, until WWI immigrant communities
throughout the United States freely and happily maintained their
languages in theur schools, their press and their local public affairs.
At that time the grotesque chauvinistic campaigns for mandatory English
and statutorily defined patriotism. Recently I came across another
example. Martin van Buren, 11th president, grew up in a Dutch speaking
household. Now of course, he obviously learned English. But he didn't
have to, and his parents and town were able to sustain the Dutch
traditions, which like those of Spanish speakers in the Southwest,
preceded those of the Anglos who had taken power over them. Somehow the
fact of intrusive government and ramified technologies of administration
does not strike me as a sound reason for reducing the rights and
freedoms once enjoyed by linguistic minorities.