[NIFL-ESL:9182] Re: Esl multilevel class

From: Holly Gensaw (hgensaw@ncen.org)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 13:26:11 EDT

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Holly Gensaw" <hgensaw@ncen.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9182] Re: Esl multilevel class

Hi Anna,
I teach small multilevel  EL Civics classes in a variety of places.
It is easiest if all the students are unilingual speakers
since they can help each other. On the other hand, some
language variety is useful because they must work harder
at learning English.
Providing support for the students by
scaffolding in some way is important. Another concept to
consider as was mentioned indirectly, is the thematic
approach. I did graduate work in a multilevel ELLI class that was loosely
grouped around activities such as creating a commercial and presenting it.
The students were immersed in the project so thoroughly because it
interested them. They were allowed to use Japanese for
the discussion of how to create what they wanted to do,
but the finished presentation was in English. They worked
at their own level and learned alot from each other.
Almost anything you can imagine you can do.
Another important thing to consider is what is your purpose? Do you have a
laundry list of things you must
accomplish with your students? If so, try to multi-task them thematically by
hitting different cognitive areas and
keeping in mind the pathways to learning through reading ,writing,
listening, and speaking, and giving plenty of opportunity for each of these.
Finally, do your best and
don't stress! It takes time.