[NIFL-ESL:9134] Re: hello

From: Ujwala Samant (usamant@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 14:13:34 EDT

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:13:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Ujwala Samant" <usamant@comcast.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:9134] Re: hello

Dear Maurice,

Andres is from Argentina, and he (and I) were replying to Jean-Christophe's
post. The latter is French, with a Portuguese mum I think.

Your experience with languages is very similar to that of my son, who upon
arriving in America at age 4:

1. Forgot Arabic which I expected given he had nobody to practice or teach
him.
2. Learned English and for a while replaced French (his father's tongue, and
my son's first language) with it.
3. Lost fluency in Marathi and Hindi, although when he is around native
speakers, they seem to return.

He is now 9 and is fluent in English and French, can get by in Marathi and
some Hindi and learned Spanish for 2 years, quite happily. He "returned" to
his other languages once he reasoned out the valid contexts for each of
them.

Paris is beautiful, but the next time go further afield, to places like
Rennes, St. Malo, Bordeaux, St. Emilion..... now that is where true French
beauty lie.

regards
Ujwala Samant