[NIFL-ESL:8769] Re: RE: NIFL's Policy

From: Julie Whittemore (whittemore_julie@alhambra.k12.ca.us)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 17:29:41 EST

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:29:41 -0800
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8769] Re: RE: NIFL's Policy
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov
Cc: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Julie Whittemore" <whittemore_julie@alhambra.k12.ca.us>

I fear that courtesy is becoming a lost art, and the level of public
discourse in this country is devolving to a shouting match, or
"professional" wrestling. Maybe it is because we are physically separated
from each other, and can then more easily demonize each other rather than
dealing with each other face to face as human beings.

I agree that curtesy is becoming a lost art in many cases. In our mothers'
and grandmothers' day women had manners books on their shelves and taught
manners to their children. Schools taught curtesy and churches taught the
"golden rule". However, we now have busy working parents, teachers who (at
least in California) are almost forced to teach nothing but the" three Rs"
and many people who do not attend church frequently. We also have children
exposed to a deluge of visual, audio and written media that seems to
promote the idea that rudeness is funny, cute or somehow powerful. In
addition, we now have a multicultural society rather than the idea of "a
melting pot" and what some consider rude may be acceptable or at least
unimportant in another culture.

I say let's use this as a lesson for our students. Talk about what rules
of curtesy exist in their culture. What kinds of manners do they regularly
teach to thier own children? What behaviors have they seen or heard that
they either do not understand or find offensive? In more advanced classes,
with your principal's forknowledge and approval, you might bring in some
examples of media that show rudeness (not profanity, just rudeness) and
make fun of it. Ask the students how they would deal with  their children
watching or reading this. Would they censor in their own homes?

Next step, you can go two ways. If you have lots of parents, you can get
into discussions of how they teach their opwn values when outside society
may be forcing something else on them and their families. OR, you can take
the censorship in your own home aspect and talk about censorship in the
media or by government. You can discuss how our present situation and war
on terrorism has led to laws that encrouch on the bill of rights and
privacy rights. You can talk about "netiquette" and even use this whole
situation with the list serve as a real life example.

If nothing else, it's a way to take this looooong discussion about the
listserve and censorship back to talking about what we all signed up to
get; discussion on how to teach our students.

Thank you,

Julie Whittemore
Resource Teache,r 5% Distance Learning Program
Alhambra School District, Adult Education Division