[NIFL-ESL:8763] Re: Re: teachers' rights and "ostrichlike tendencies"

From: Sylvan Rainwater (sylvan@cccchs.org)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 16:10:30 EST

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 13:10:30 -0800
To: nifl-esl@nifl.gov
From: Sylvan Rainwater <sylvan@cccchs.org>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8763] Re: Re: teachers' rights and "ostrichlike tendencies"

At 03:47 PM 03/06/2003 -0500, Ujwala Samant wrote:
><SNIP>we cannot seriously believe that even our beginning learners
>do not hold political opinions or are worried about the state of the nation
>and their own survival?

Indeed. In fact, I had an advanced student write in her dialog journal
(paraphrase from my memory): tell me what happens in the case of emergency,
like war. I'm not worried for myself, but for my children.

I wrote her back that we have policies in place for dealing with
emergencies like fire and earthquakes, and would probably put something
like that into effect. But really, we're in unknown territory here, and,
while it's good to make plans, it seems worthwhile to emphasize that we're
living in uncertain times, and the most important thing is to pull together
and help each other every way we can.

I'd love to advocate some sort of civic action, but personally I'm not
feeling too hopeful about any of that, so it's difficult to encourage my
students when I can't even encourage myself.

Sylvan Rainwater  .   Family Literacy Coordinator
Clackamas County Children's Commission / Head Start
Oregon City, OR USA    .   mailto:sylvan@cccchs.org