[NIFL-ESL:8709] RE: Re: oil and war

From: Lisa Pierce (ldpierce@emlc.org)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 10:41:43 EST

From: Lisa Pierce <ldpierce@emlc.org>
To: "'nifl-esl@nifl.gov'" <nifl-esl@nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8709] RE: Re: oil and war
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:41:43 -0500

I would advise against teaching students (and spreading around in general)
hearsay that has no factual basis.
The potential for war is about weapons vs. oil but it is not to prevent a
deterrent to American intervention.  If that were the case we would be at
war with every nation.

This is all getting very tiresome (this exchange of charged opinions
without factual base and with no helpful ideas for classroom use).  I
appreciate your question Marlene.  I hope others form the list will provide
useful information and ideas.  both the US and Iraq are in a difficult
place.  They both risk losing power by backing down from their current
stances.  Power is made up in a large part by perception.  Saddam doesn't
have as much power as he would like and more than the US would like.  The
question for Saddam is how he can keep his current level of perceived power
and avoid war.  The question for the US and other UN nations, is how can
they ensure that Saddam does not keep and build weapons of mass destruction
(that would threaten the stability of the region and the safety of many)
without war.  You might have a class discussion on issues of power
(international or local):  what is power?  how does one gain power?  What's
an appropriate use of power?

Lisa