[NIFL-ESL:8977] Re: English immersion

From: Lorraine Gardner (lad-oh@etop.org)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 10:34:00 EDT

Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:34:00 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Lorraine Gardner <lad-oh@etop.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8977] Re: English immersion

Susan,

Jazz Chants is a book that teaches various English structures using chants.
The idea is that students will learn the structures while also learning the
rhythm of the English language. I know many teachers swear by Jazz Chants,
but I have never been able to force myself to use it! I attended a session
at a conference once where the presenters gave a demonstration on how to
use Jazz Chants, and I just couldn't get enthused about it. It's just too
artificial for me, I guess. And if I can't get enthused about it, there's
no way I can try to make my students enthused about it--it just doesn't
work for me.

Lorraine Gardner
lad-oh@etop.org