[NIFL-ESL:8939] Re: Performance assessment

From: Sherry Migdail (shermigd@erols.com)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 23:25:42 EDT

Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 23:25:42 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Sherry Migdail" <shermigd@erols.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8939] Re: Performance assessment

I think one can, with adults, over-test at least in the first few months ...
get o know them, do a lot of language listening.  Drw some impressions from
how they use English - what their level of classroom function is - do they
walk out the room in a first language?  has there been some lingering effect
of English as they leave.  Strees oral language to begin with, language
"sense" before you use formal testing of any kind.  They will trust that far
more than a written exersize which is intimidating ...
The Best of OK - but you should be writing your own measurs using your own
teaching curiculum to find out if they learn what you teach

Sherry Migdail