[NIFL-ESL:8766] Re: Censorship?

From: Lorraine Gardner (lad-oh@etop.org)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 16:54:24 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 16:54:24 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Lorraine Gardner <lad-oh@etop.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8766] Re: Censorship?

Very well stated, Sylvan. I do not like censorship, and I believe that this
list should be a forum for ideas that relate to ESL teaching and our
students. As Ujwala said, we are not just teaching discrete linguistic
skills without context. However, in order for a list to be an open forum,
everyone must respect one another. You do not have to agree with the
opinions stated, but you do have to have the decency to disagree with
decorum. The comments made by Mr. Januzzi both on and off list show a lack
of respect for list members and for the value of the list itself. Someone
suggested typing out your feelings and then hitting the delete key, which
is exactly what Mr. Januzzi should have done. No matter how much you
disagree or become incensed by another's comments, that does not give you
reason to act with such disrespect. I too support Lynda's decision
completely. It is unfortunate that she was forced to make such a
decision--I hope everyone will think twice before hitting "send" in the future.

Lorraine Gardner
lad-oh@etop.org