[NIFL-ESL:8746] teachers' rights and "ostichlike tendencies"

From: Paul Rogers (englishtoday2002@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 08:43:19 EST

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 08:43:19 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Paul Rogers <englishtoday2002@yahoo.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8746] teachers' rights and "ostichlike tendencies"

      The sentiments expressed below represent an
ideal which cannot be realized until teachers and
students have some basic rights. If teachers have to
worry about being unjustly fired, then it is also
naive to expect anyone to "talk Freire." If students
can be insulted and worse for talking in their native
language (which is a violation of the first
amendment), then how can we establish an environment
of trust so as to begin discussions about larger
issues? If English Only is the "law" - then how can
there be discussions of anything, especially in
classes for beginning students?
Paul Rogers