[NIFL-ESL:8546] reading level of public resources for terrorist attack

From: hsmith@coe.tamu.edu
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 16:42:29 EST

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:42:29 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: hsmith@coe.tamu.edu
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8546] reading level of public resources for terrorist attack

The federal government this week launched a "Ready Campaign" to encourage
the public to prepare for possible terrorist attacks. That campaign has
instructions for preparedness online at: www.ready.gov

FEMA has an online document called "Are You Ready: A Guide to Citizen
Preparedness", which can be downloaded in Word or pdf format at:
www.fema.gov/areyouready/

Using Microsoft Word's quick and dirty check of readability, I ascertained
that the information and instructions at ready.gov are written at a
Flesch-Kincaid reading level of grade 9.8. Worse still, the FEMA guide is
mostly written at the 11th to 12th grade reading level.

I will (with difficulty) refrain from comment on that information.

However, I made a suggestion to adult literacy and ESL teachers in Texas
via our statewide teachers listserv as to using this information in the
classroom. Perhaps some adult learners would want to develop a simpler,
more accessible and readable version of the preparedness guide to share
with friends, family and other classes as a classroom project.

Harriet Vardiman Smith
Librarian
Adult Literacy Clearinghouse
Texas Center for Adult Literacy & Learning
Texas A&M University
800-441-READ
website:  www-tcall.tamu.edu
main office email:  tcall@coe.tamu.edu