[NIFL-ESL:8524] ESL and ESOL Conventions

From: WMFisher40@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 11:20:49 EST

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:20:49 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: WMFisher40@aol.com
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8524] ESL and ESOL Conventions

       Can anyone help me to understand the conventional applications of ESL
(English as a Second Language) and ESOL (English for Speakers of Other
Languages)?  In my locality, I think ESL often refers to college programs and
ESOL often is used for elementary and high school programs.  I have seen
Adult Education English programs referred to as both ESOL and ESL.
       Any clarification of these terms' uses would be appreciated!  How
would one explain these terms accurately to a non-native speaker of English?
It would also be interesting to see if they are used differently in different
areas of the country.
       Thanks,
       Solveig Fisher