[NIFL-ESL:8463] Re: using poetry in the adult ed EL/Civics classroom

From: Maria Elena Gonzalez (maria@alri.org)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 13:03:44 EST

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:03:44 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Maria Elena Gonzalez" <maria@alri.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-esl@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-ESL:8463] Re: using poetry in the adult ed EL/Civics classroom

A wonderful resource for using poetry and other literature in the classroom
is "Luna, Luna - Creative Writing Ideas from Spanish, Latin American and
Latino Literature", edited by Julio Marzan and published by Teachers &
Writers Collaborative of NY (copyright 1997).  Although the teachers writing
about their experience are from the k-12 system, there are good ideas that
can cross-over into adult basic education.   One of my favorites is a
reflection by Julia Alvarez on using poetry in a bilingual class.  I have
used some of her ideas in a training for teachers who thought they would be
appropriate for use with their adult learners.

Maria E. Gonzalez
SABES Coordinator
Adult Literacy Resource Institute/Boston
SABES Regional Center
617-782-8956, X15
617-782-9011 (fax)