In 2007, the United States Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration awarded $3.8 million in grants to 73 grassroots faith-based and community organizations. These organizations were chosen in a competitive grant review process based on their ability to help hard-to-serve populations prepare for and obtain employment. Organizations in 28 different states as well as the District of Columbia received the awards. Fifty-nine new grantees received up to $60,000 each and 14 prior grantees received up to $30,000 each to provide supportive services to individuals seeking to reintegrate into the workforce.
This grant is part of the Department of Labor's efforts to partner existing programs with various faith-based and community oriented groups in order to provide better service to needy people and families. The Grassroots grants require that each FBCO applicant develop their program in conjunction with their local One-Stop Career Center to help underserved populations prepare for and succeed in employment opportunities. Grantee organizations partner with their One-Stop Career Center to provide services such as pre- and post-job placement mentoring, intensive case management, job retention support, life skills training, and employability skills training. Other FBCO grantees have utilized their grants to establish in-house "Access Points" so that individuals can access electronic One-Stop services in their own neighborhoods.
For more information, please view the Press Release regarding the grant program. To see which programs in your area received funding, visit the Touching Lives and Communities Interactive Map, or see the complete list of 2007 Grassroots Grantees.
(Files in this section are in the MS Word® format)
- Arizona The G.T. Outreach Program
- Arizona Tucson International Alliance of Refugee Communities, Inc.
- California Bach Viet Association
- California Centro Legal De La Raza
- California Computer Applications Training Schools
- California East African Community of Orange County
- California Imperial Valley Regional Occupational Program Community Foundation
- California Slavic Assistance Center, Inc.
- Colorado ADCO Development Corporation
- Connecticut Loaves & Fishes Ministry, Inc.
- Connecticut Polish American Foundation of Connecticut, Inc.
- Florida For All His Children Ministries, Inc.
- Florida Help of Fort Meade
- Florida Homeless and Hunger Coalition of Northwest Florida, Inc.
- Florida Pinellas Ex-Offender Re-entry Coalition
- Florida Prison Rehabilitive Industries & Diversitifed Enterprises, Inc.
- Indiana Inspirations of Hamilton County, Inc.
- Iowa Iowa Comprehensive Human Services
- Iowa South Central Iowa Independent Living Center
- Louisiana Hope Center, Inc.
- Louisiana Louisiana Business Leadership Network
- Maryland Alternative Directions, Inc.
- Maryland Holly Community, Inc.
- Maryland The Power/Excel Foundation, Inc.
- Massachusetts Asian American Workforce Development Corporation
- Massachusetts Ethiopian Community Mutual Assistance Association, Inc.
- Michigan Eaglevison Ministries
- Michigan Tried Stone Economic Development Corporation
- Minnesota SOAR Career Solutions
- New Jersey Career Opportunity Development, Inc.
- New Jersey Latin American Economic Development Association, Inc.
- New Jersey New Destiny Community Corporation
- New Jersey Team Management 2000, Inc.
- New York Imani House
- New York Public Resources Incorporated
- North Carolina InStepp, Inc.
- Ohio Community Service Alliance
- Ohio Flying HIGH, Inc.
- Ohio Hard Hatted Women
- Ohio Hilltop Christian Community Development Corporation
- Ohio Partners in Active Living Through Socialization, Inc.
- Ohio Scranton Road Ministries Community Development Corporation
- Oklahoma Opportunities Industrialization Center of Oklahoma County
- Oregon St. Vincent de Paul Society, Council of the Mid-Willamette Valley
- Pennsylvannia Northside Common Ministries
- Rhode Island The Blessing Way
- Pennsylvania Turning the TIDE
- South Dakota Cornerstones Career Learning Center, Inc.
- Texas Center for Enterprise Community Iniatives and Development, Inc.
- Texas Pharr Literacy Project
- Texas Texas ReEntry Services
- Utah Utah Statewide Independent Living Council
- Vermont Linking Learning to Life, Inc.
- Virginia Business Development Assistance Group, Inc
- Virginia Charity Group of Good Affinity, Inc.
- Virginia Offender Aid and Restoration of Arlington County, Inc.
- Virginia Skyline Literacy Coalition
- Washington, DC Strive DC, Inc.
- Wisconsin Portage County Literacy Council, Inc.