Skip to content
Social Security Online
Survivors Planner
Planners Home SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

A Special Lump Sum Death Benefit

Survivors Planner Home Skip Survivor links
Your Survivors
You as Survivor
How to Apply
Other Factors
Benefit Calculators

If you're a surviving widow or widower, you may be eligible to receive a special death benefit payment of $255 on the worker's record. This payment can be made only to a spouse or minor children who meet certain requirements. If you think you may be eligible, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213(TTY 1-800-325-0778).

Generally, this is how it applies:

First, the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when he or she died can receive the lump sum payment.

Second, if there's no eligible spouse to receive the payment, the lump sum can be paid to the worker's child (or children) who was:

  • receiving benefits on the deceased worker's earnings record during the month in which the worker died; or

  • eligible to receive benefits.

For more information about this lump sum payment, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

 Link to Government Made Easy Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map
Last reviewed or modified Tuesday Jul 22, 2008
Need Larger Text?