Skip to content
Social Security Online
Retirement Planner
Planners Home SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Your earnings as a farm worker

Retirement Planner Home Skip Retirement Planner links
Retirement Estimator
Benefit Calculators
Eligibility Issues
Near Retirement?
Apply for Benefits Online
Frequently Asked Questions
Other Resources

Most farm workers are "covered" by Social Security. This means that Social Security and Medicare taxes must be paid on their earnings.

If you are a farm worker, you are considered "covered" by Social Security if:

  • your employer pays you $150 or more in cash wages during the calendar year for farm work; or

  • you are paid less than $150 in cash wages, but your employer's total expenses for agricultural labor are $2,500 or more for the year.

However, if you are a seasonal hand-harvest worker who:

  • commutes to work daily from your home,
  • is paid on a piece-rate basis, and
  • does less than 13 weeks of farm work during the year,

your work is "covered" by Social Security only if you are paid at least $150 in cash for the job.

 Link to, the U.S. Government's Official Web Portal Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map
Last reviewed or modified Friday Sep 12, 2008
Need Larger Text?