Skip to content
Social Security Online
Retirement Planner
Planners Home SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Household employment

Retirement Planner Home Skip Retirement Planner links
Retirement Estimator
Benefit Calculators
Eligibility Issues
Near Retirement?
Apply for Benefits Online
Frequently Asked Questions
Other Resources

If you are a household worker--for example, a cleaning person, cook, gardener, or baby sitter--and you earn $1,600 or more in cash wages during 2008 from one employer, that employer must deduct Social Security and Medicare taxes from your wages. The employer will report your earnings to Social Security after the end of the year.

If you earn less than $1600 in 2008 from the employer, the earnings are not covered and are not reported.

Earnings for household workers (such as baby sitters) who are under age 18 are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes unless household work is the young person's primary occupation.

 Link to, the U.S. Government's Official Web Portal Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map
Last reviewed or modified Friday Sep 12, 2008
Need Larger Text?