Skip to content
Social Security Online
Electronic Fact Sheets
Publications Home SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) In Vermont

SSA Publication No. 05-11128, January 2008 [View .pdf] Get Accessible Adobe Acrobat Reader
SSI State Supplements


What is SSI?

Medical assistanceSkip contents links

Food stamps

Other social services

Monthly SSI payment amounts

Contacting Social Security

What is SSI?

SSI, or Supplemental Security Income, is a federal program that provides monthly cash payments to people in need. SSI is for people who are 65 or older, as well as for blind or disabled people of any age, including children.

To qualify you also must have little or no income and few resources. This means that the value of the things you own must be less than $2,000 if you are single or less than $3,000 if you are married. The value of your home does not count. Usually, the value of your car does not count. And the value of certain other resources, such as a burial plot, may not count either.

To get SSI, you also must apply for any other cash benefits you may be able to get.

You must live in the United States or Northern Mariana Islands to get SSI. If you are not a U.S. citizen, but you are a resident, you still may be able to get SSI. For more information, ask for the publication, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) For Noncitizens (Publication No. 05-11051).

The state of Vermont adds money to the federal payment. The single payment you get in the beginning of each month includes both the federal SSI payment and your supplement from Vermont.


Medical assistance

If you get SSI, you usually can get medical assistance (Medicaid) automatically. If you have questions about Medicaid, contact your local Department of Prevention, Assistance, Transition and Health Access office (PATH).



Food stamps

If you get SSI, you may be able to get food stamps. Food stamps can be used to help you buy more food without spending more money. However, Social Security does not decide if you can get food stamps. If you live in a household where everyone is applying for or getting SSI, you can apply for food stamps at a Social Security office. If not, you must apply at your local PATH office.


Other social services

Other services you may be able to get through PATH include:

  • Information, referrals and follow-ups;
  • Homemaker and chore services;
  • Community placement services; and
  • Rehabilitation services.

For more information, contact your local PATH office.


Monthly SSI payment amounts

These amounts include both federal and state payments combined. Not all SSI recipients receive these maximum amounts. Your payment may be lower if you have other income.




Independent living status



Living in someone else's household



Living in an assistive community care center



Living in a licensed community care home



Living in a custodial "family" home



Living in a Medicaid facility




Contacting Social Security

For more information and to find copies of our publications, visit or call toll-free, 1-800-772-1213 (for the deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778). We can answer specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. We can provide information by automated phone service 24 hours a day.

We treat all calls confidentially. We also want to make sure you receive accurate and courteous service. That is why we have a second Social Security representative monitor some telephone calls.

 Link to U.S. Government portal Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map
Need Larger Text?