Skip to content
Social Security Online
Electronic Fact Sheets
Publications Home SSA logo: link to Social Security Online home

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) In New Jersey

SSA Publication No. 05-11148, January 2008, [View .pdf] Get Accessible Adobe Acrobat Reader (En EspaƱol)


What is SSI?Skip contents links
Medical assistance
Food stamps
Other social services
Monthly SSI payment amounts
Contacting Social Security

What is SSI?

SSI, or Supplemental Security Income, is a federal program that provides monthly cash payments to people in need. SSI is for people who are 65 or older, as well as for blind or disabled people of any age, including children.

To qualify you also must have little or no income and few resources. This means that the value of the things you own must be less than $2,000 if you are single or less than $3,000 if you are married. The value of your home does not count. Usually, the value of your car does not count. And the value of certain other resources, such as a burial plot, may not count either.

To get SSI, you also must apply for any other cash benefits you may be able to get.

You must live in the United States or the Northern Mariana Islands to get SSI. If you are not a U.S. citizen, but you are a resident, you still may be able to get SSI. For more information, ask for a copy of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) For Noncitizens (Publication No. 05-11051).

In many cases, the state of New Jersey adds money to the federal payment. The single payment you get in the beginning of each month includes both the federal
SSI payment and your supplement from New Jersey.


Medical assistance

If you get SSI, you can get medical assistance (Medicaid) automatically. You will receive a separate letter of acceptance and Medicaid ID card from the state of New Jersey. If you have questions about Medicaid, contact your local Medical Assistance Customer Center.



Food stamps

If you get SSI, you may be able to get food stamps. Food stamps can help you buy more food without spending more money. However, Social Security does not decide if you can get food stamps. If you live in a household where everyone is applying for or getting SSI, you can apply for food stamps at a Social Security office. If not, you must apply at your local county welfare agency.


Other social services

Other services you may be able to get through your local county welfare agency include:

  • Consumer protection services;
  • Educational training and employment assistance;
  • Homemaker services;
  • Home-delivered meals;
  • Housing services;
  • Information and referral services;
  • Money management services;
  • Special assistance for drug abusers;
  • Special assistance for the blind and disabled; and
  • Transportation.

For more information, contact your local county welfare agency.


Monthly SSI payment amounts

The amounts include both federal and state payments combined. Not all SSI recipients receive the maximum amount. Your payment may be lower if you have other income.



2008 total monthly payment

Person living alone or with others in own household

$ 668.52

Person living with spouse who is not eligible for SSI

$ 981.36

Person living in someone else's household and receiving support and maintenance

$ 468.98

Person living in licensed residential health care facility

$ 847.05

Person living in public general hospital or Medicaid-approved long-term health facility

$ 40.00

Couple living alone or with others in own household

$ 981.36

Couple living in someone else's household and receiving support and maintenance

$ 730.43

Couple living in licensed residential health care facility

$ 1,675.36


Contacting Social Security

For more information and to find copies of our publications, visit or call toll-free, 1-800-772-1213 (for the deaf or hard of hearing, call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778). We can answer specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. We can provide information by automated phone service 24 hours a day.

We treat all calls confidentially. We also want to make sure you receive accurate and courteous service. That is why we have a second Social Security representative monitor some telephone calls.

 Link to U.S. Government portal Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map
Need Larger Text?