[NIFL-FAMILY:3280] getting started with family literacy

From: Jane Meyer (meyer_j@ccsdistrict.org)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 12:44:18 EST

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:44:18 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jane Meyer <meyer_j@ccsdistrict.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3280] getting started with family literacy

Sylvan,  One specific thing we did to build collaboration in our first year of
Even Start was to apply for a grant (ours was a special demonstration grant
from the state ABE office) to work on community collaboration.  With the money
we set up several meetings and invited all the agencies in town.  We held the
meetings at the end of the work day and served nice snacks.  I thought because
I was the new kid that everyone else pretty much knew each other, but most
folks didn't know more than a few.  Each meeting included plenty of time for
socializing and informal networking.  It was great to put faces and names
together and I know I felt more comfortable calling people I had met.  Often as
we talked together ideas for collaboration came up even when we weren't looking
for them.  We also ended up putting together a notebook of community resources
and distributing it to all the agencies.  We no longer use the notebook
approach as now this information is available on line in our community, but 8
years ago it was a start.  Even after the grant ran out a group of us met
monthly for several years for lunch, networking, and a short presentation that
we took turns arranging.

There has to be a balance of vision and day to day operations in any program.
It is easy to get overwhelmed setting up and managing a family literacy
program.  Mostly I felt the first 2 years like there wasn't ever time for
anything but day to day stuff, but I forced myself to find time (by delegating
and letting some stuff go) to spend time building collaboration because I knew
it would pay off in the long run.  I estimate that I spent about 1/5 of my time
building collaboration the first few years.  Now that I've established
relationships it doesn't take quite as much time.  Also if you work too hard to
set up the program and then try to bring in collaboration there isn't anything
for the partners to do - you've already covered all the bases.  Working with
partners meant we set up systems that worked for both of us instead of us
making the plans and the partner trying to fit in.  And, of course it should be
mentioned that initial collaboration should begin before or during the grant
writing process.  Those whose collaborative partners are really just on paper
will find it difficult to proceed with the project.  We probably should have
first written the grant for building collaboration and then done Even Start.
Live and learn!  Jane Meyer  Canton (Ohio) Even Start