[NIFL-FAMILY:3229] Instructional Software

From: mdryden@esconett.org
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 16:28:56 EDT

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:28:56 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: mdryden@esconett.org
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3229] Instructional Software

I am looking for software for a large program with ABE/GED/ESL students,
and I would appreciate recommendations.

We have English Discoveries at one center; we are exploring using it for
ESL at all 11 learning centers; however, we are a little concerned that it
is not the right program for our students in the Rio Grande Valley--they
are almost 100 per cent hispanic, educationally disadvantaged (75%), and
70% or more are unemployed.

We are going to preview the Oxford Picture Dictionay CD-rom, but we wonder
how useful that will be, since we use the dictionaries throughout the
program.

We have Rosetta Stone for the lowest levels, at one center, and we are
going to look at the programs for higher levels.

For pre-GED/GED, we have Contemporary GED and pre-GED at all sites. We are
looking for something for lower levels--the adult equivalent (?) of grades
1-6.

We have previewed some Steck-Vaughn programs for ABE/GED and reading.  Some
of these are said to be adaptable (?) for ESL students.

My inclination is that the primary software that we purchase for ESL should
be an integrated skills series, but I would like recommendations on what to
look at.  I think that we should also have a reading and perhaps a math
program that would encompass many levels and benefit all our population, to
some extent.