[NIFL-FAMILY:3051] Re: developmental stages for school agers

From: Karen Selby (kselby@kzoo.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 09:47:47 EDT

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:47:47 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Karen Selby <kselby@kzoo.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3051] Re: developmental stages for school agers

Alright, the notion that there are academic benchmarks about which you can inform
parents is in itself harmful.  Reality is that all children will progress through
their development at individual rates...letting parents know about their child's
stage of development and how different stages may be served by different
I think the worse thing my inner city teachers could do is attempt to compare my
wonderful, bright, funny little child to others as a way of telling me that we
are behind, "normal" or ahead.  Go ahead and be dare to be richly descriptive,
encourage parents to think about how the rich description from school fits with
the child they know, and support every child to become more than a statistical
norm.

--
Dr. Karen Selby, Chair
Department of Education