[NIFL-FAMILY:3047] Re: To eat or not to eat

From: michele koppinger (isdistrict77@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 16:47:56 EDT

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 16:47:56 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@nifl.gov
From: "michele koppinger" <isdistrict77@hotmail.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:3047] Re: To eat or not to eat

HAVE YOU TRIED FUNDING A NUTRITIOUS MEAL AND/OR SNACK USING THE GOVERNMENT
FUNDS AVAILABLE THROUGH F.R.A.C.
I forget what FRAC stands for, but their is a web site with all the
information.  Enter FRAC in your SEARCH.

Where I live, there is a summer lunch program funded by the federal food
program and channeled through the MN Department of Children, Families, &
Learning.  It is hosted locally by the Salvation Army, who "donate" the use
of their DISASTER EMERGENCY Canteen.  A lunch lady who regulary cooks for
the school district during the regular academic year prepares hot meals
using the Salvation Army soup kitchen facilities.  The Canteen delivers to
three neighborhoods, sites determined to be 50% or so at poverty level by
the 1990 census.  The children eat, then there is always a program offered.
Programs are provided by different non-profits, public safety officials,
churches,
United Way agencies, and several literacy groups, including the library on
wheels also known as The Bookmobile.  The Salvation Army coordinates
programmers and volunteers, provides paid and unpaid staff, provides hot
meals on site to children who normally receive free or reduced lunches
during the regular school year.  Some parents of the kids will help with the
program while at their given site.  Program adults eat free.  Free meals are
primarily for children, though, up to age 18.  However, no one (of any
age/race/religion/ability/etc.) will be turned away providing that the kids
receive their meals first.

Granted, parent involvement is limited due to the mid-day hours; but the
important things is that other adults can provide the same...whether it be
mentoring, tutoring, programming, or playing....  In fact, some men come and
"play" with these kids during their work lunch hour, wearing their business
suits---thats not uncommon.

You're welcome to forward this to the list serv if you think its
appropriate.  My fingers are stiff; pardon the errors, if any.

Michele
Site Supervisor
Mobile Outreach Meals (MOM's) Program
c/o Salvation Army