[NIFL-FAMILY:2920] Re: Barriers to Family Literacy

From: costanzo (costanzo@sover.net)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 18:22:20 EDT

Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 18:22:20 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "costanzo" <costanzo@sover.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2920] Re: Barriers to Family Literacy

Hi Emily,

That's a very good question....one that all of us who are involved in
family literacy grapple with every year.  I might suggest you pose
this question to some of the parents and community members who reside
in the school district.  Your potential clients will give you some of
the answers that are most relevant to your situation.

I used to work as a GED teacher in an adult literacy program at an
agency known the Tutorial Center.  I had my students develop a
recruitment program to encourage others to enroll at the Center.  One
of their suggestions was to change the sign hanging outside our
building.   At the time it simply read, "The Tutorial Center."   They
suggested adding some wording so that adults would know that this was
a place where their educational needs could be met.  They also
redesigned our flyer so that it read more like an invitation than a
fact sheet.  We took their suggestions and enrollment grew right
away!!!  What had seemed so obvious to the students had completely
escaped the staff.

Meg Costanzo
Vermont Reading Partners
Manchester Center, VT

> Hello, I am working with a small school district in central
Minnesota planning a