[NIFL-FAMILY:2899] RE: ESL family literacy program

From: Jessie Bullock (jessie@black-diamond.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 23:50:45 EDT

Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 23:50:45 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jessie Bullock <jessie@black-diamond.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2899] RE: ESL family literacy program

Hi,

I really appreciate your email.  It doesn't make me feel so alone in the
challenges I face.  I definitely would be interested in coming to visit
your program.  Mornings are busy for me, but maybe I can make it up there
one afternoon.  School is out for us on June 14, so since we don't run a
summer program...I'm free then.  Do you have a summer program?

In my case, I am the only paid staff member besides a part-time
babysitter.  She takes care of the children who are not school age.  She is
18 years old and has no early childhood ed experience.  I inherited her
when I started my position in January.  I don't have any bilingual
assistance available for parent time.  That is why it is so challenging for
me.  The high intermediate and advanced students don't have a problem
understanding the basic theme and most of the discussion questions I bring
up, but the low intermediate and beginning students do.  I don't have many
resources to use for my parent time discussions and none in Spanish.  Our
PACT time goes pretty much how yours does.  It is difficult with parents
who have children in grades 1-5.  Most of them just sit while the child is
doing seat work.  The kindergarten teacher is great about working with me
on PACT.

How much time do the parents spend in the classroom per week?  How often do
you do parent time discussions?  For what amount of time?

I have not had the NCFL training, but I have read a few of their
publications.  I am scheduled to go to Louisville, KY in August for a week
of training.  I think the training will be useful, but if I am not given
the resources I need to run the program I don't know how much good the
training will do.  I really need someone bilingual to be available for the
parent time and to help the parents understand the teachers sometimes
during PACT.

I do appreciate your response.  I hope to visit your program soon.

Jessie Bullock

jessie@black-diamond.com
www.black-diamond.com