[NIFL-FAMILY:2807] Re: children's computer programs

From: Carol Bell (ca-bell@wiu.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 09:32:59 EST

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:32:59 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Carol Bell" <ca-bell@wiu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2807] Re: children's computer programs

I sent the following message to Janet yesterday, but after seeing interest
from other listserv members, I though more people might be interested in
successful ways that we have worked with families. An addition to this-some
family programs will latch on to older computers that can be used for loan
to families. Family members sign up for two weeks to use the computer at
home. Before the loan, they are given some basic instruction in their home.

    I work with a project that implements a model technology program into
early childhood programs. Part of the model includes a family component. A
technology lab is one way we recommend working with families. One of the
programs that we use in our classrooms and one that we recommend for
families during their first night of computers with their children is
KidDesk by Edmark. This program is a desktop protection program that offers
communication features, including voice mail and e-mail capabilities within
one computer. We find that children love the program and that families who
are not familiar with computers find it enjoyable because it is often
personalized for their child. (You set this up ahead of time). A sample
called KidDesk lite can be found at www.edmark.com. You can set up software
choices like the ones listed below. Family members do not have to be
computer literate to operate the programs and most of our 3, 4, and 5 year
olds access their software this way.

If that program seems like too much work for you at this time, I recommend
Broderbund Living Book Series--Cat In The Hat, Just Grandma and Me, Dr.
Seuss ABC, Preschool Success Starter, etc. The stories are sometimes
familiar to the adults and are interactive for the children. They hear the
words read to them and can go back to click on pictures for animation or the
words to hear the words.

Another suggestion includes some drawing programs like Kid Pix by
Broderbund, Crayola Make a Masterpiece by Crayola, or Disney's Magic Artist.
These programs offering drawing and writing tools that children can use to
tell their stories. The drawings can be printed out.

If the workshop idea does not work out for you, some of the teachers that we
work with offer a time for parents to sign up and come in on an individual
basis with their children to do some of the same things that they would do
in a workshop setting. This is more personalized and allows for a
facilitator to be on hand if the family members/children have questions or
requires help. Often the person facilitating this session is busy in the
background until the family requests help.

I hope that this helps. If I can be of further assistance, my e-mail is
ca-bell@wiu.edu or visit our website at http://www.mprojects.wiu.edu/littech

Carol Bell