[NIFL-FAMILY:2654] Re: Books for Adult Readers

From: Jane Meyer (meyer_j@ccsdistrict.org)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 18:44:41 EST

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:44:41 -0500 (EST)
Sender: nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov
From: Jane Meyer <meyer_j@ccsdistrict.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-family@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-FAMILY:2654] Re: Books for Adult Readers

Meg, In Canton (Ohio) Even Start we bought many paperbacks at the middle
school level from Scholastic Books.  We chose historical fiction and
used them for reading and social studies.  Reading about fictional
characters was a fun and easy way for the students to learn about
different time periods.  We filled in with information and projects to
help the students understand the historical and cultural backgrounds of
the books.  Favorites here (which could be because of Ohio's location as
part of the underground railroad) are always books about escaping
slaves, but we have books on many parts of American history and
different cultures as represented in American history.  Jane Meyer,
Canton Even Start