[NIFL-WOMENLIT:1026] Re: Teach!

From: Jenny Horsman (jhorsman@idirect.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 21:28:47 EDT

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:28:47 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Jenny Horsman" <jhorsman@idirect.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:1026] Re: Teach!

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your view Andrea.  Your description of survivors as
having fault lines and vulnerabilities is eloquent.  I absolutely agree with
you that what teachers should do is teach.  I'm not sure what you meant by a
safety net - but I certainly think they/we need to be prepared with
knowledge about options for counselling/therapy/groups etc. for students and
some sort of counselling/therapy support for ourselves as teachers.  My
argument is that if we don't recognize the impact of violence on learning
and support students to understand this impact, learn to believe in
themselves, rebuild self-worth and learn to learn, then many students may
not succeed in learning what they hoped to learn.  Instead they may fail
again and judge themselves, believing that they really must be stupid.  (And
I worry that if we don't have access to some form of supports ourselves as
teachers then we are more likely to become exhausted or burnt out.)

Having worked with a group this winter - not trying to invite disclosures or
to be a therapist, but naming that violence may have got in the way of
learning and helping the women to learn to support themselves, gather the
strength of spirit, emotions, body and mind to help them learn - I have seen
women improve enormously in their reading and writing as well as making
concrete plans and moving them gradually into action, for courses and work,
volunteer and paid, they plan to take on.  This work I think builds on
learners strength and enhances it. I found it useful to always remind myself
that my focus was on learning - and what would help with learning - but I
was fascinated to find that helping women to feel better about themselves,
to feel valued, to feel that they did not need to be ashamed of the violence
in their lives and gain confidence as learners - helped them to be able to
learn.  Consulting with a therapist helped me to maintain that focus and be
careful about how to do teaching that honoured the experiences learners had
been through and didn't ignore my own needs and limits.

As I was writing this message, that student who kicked me into this area of
work, happened to call.  When I told her the message I was trying to write
she said that I should say that learners often don't trust anyone and when
they hear from someone they trust that they don't deserve to be hurt, then
it can help them make changes in their lives.  She said that when women are
struggling with present violence or past violence "they've got too much on
their mind, it keeps going back to the abuse and they can't learn."   She
reminded me that it is not easy to just take a referral as people with those
"big papers", as she calls educated people, can be very intimidating, so it
may take time and support before a student can follow up on a referral.

I think it is important for teachers to explore how to create safer spaces
for learning and help learners feel they have worth - this is essential for
learning.  I think as literacy workers we often fear that if we break the
silences about the issues of violence we will open the floodgates and find
ourselves in too deep. My experience was that I didn't hear the details of
the violence in women's lives, instead I heard more about the difficulties
they have with learning, their worries that may be their memories are no
good, their fears that those who told them they were worthless and stupid
were right - many things that were getting in the way of learning.

Before I end my stint focussing on this issue, I want to ask one last set of
questions.  My current research looks at what happens when people in
literacy programs try to change literacy practice to recognize impacts of
violence on literacy. I want to know how you have been thinking about the
impact of violence on learning, how you have tried, or wish you could try,
to address these issues through changes in your practice.  I am curious
about what helps and hinders making changes.  So far I have been
particularly noticing "discourses" (language and practices) that I think
hinder recognizing issues of violence in programs I would love to hear from
you.  If you prefer to email me privately rather than posting to the list
feel free.

Thanks everyone for focussing on these issues for the last two weeks - hope
it hasn't been too exhausting - I'll keep listening in for a while I don't
want to miss anything (though I'll be away from email for a few days from
Sunday)!
I've really appreciated the chance to "talk" with you all and would love to
hear more in future as you have further thoughts about the issue.
I wish you all well
Jenny