[NIFL-WOMENLIT:1003] Re: Questions

From: Daphne Greenberg (alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 20:00:28 EDT

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:00:28 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov
From: "Daphne Greenberg" <alcdgg@langate.gsu.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <nifl-womenlit@literacy.nifl.gov>
Subject: [NIFL-WOMENLIT:1003] Re: Questions

I agree.  However, I wonder about the complications that arise when the instructor is also a survivor.   Where she or he is on her or his own journey will impact the classroom exercise/discussion.  Especially, if the topic gets brought up by a student when the instructor never intended to have this topic discussed in the class.
Daphne
>>> AWilder106@aol.com 09/26/00 18:04 PM >>>
Daphne,

It seems to me to be useful for the teacher to have a fairly clear idea of
why they feel this topic should be brought up, and what to do with it when it
is brought up.  It can usefully become a topic of writing, for example,
because in this way cognition--thinking--can be used to master and use the
emotion.  Many others have noted that it can be used as an entree into a
discussion of what shelters are available, etc., and perhaps a fulcrum for
group effort of a political nature.  I mention these two areas because both
are ways out of helplessness.

Andrea